Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 21: The Trouble with Supplements...

Taz had off school today, as it was Columbus Day.  The weather was cool, yet sunny, so we made our way out to a festival for children.  There were huge inflated blocks that could be thrown up in the air and bounced around like a volleyball.  A huge parachute was flung in the air, popping little balls up in the air like popcorn.  There were dozens of children with Down's Syndrome, of varying ages.  It was an experience in perspective.  My heart broke for the parents of these special children, who do not have the hope of recovery that my son has from the spectrum deficits.

Autumn Artwork by Taz

Later, at home, Taz worked on an extra credit Poem for 4th grade, & the words seemingly flowed out of him with ease.  He was always a good writer, it was only the Handwriting that irritates the daylights out of all of us.

Busying himself most of the day making colorful crocheted bracelets with his new "Rainbow Loom,"  Taz taught himself how to make bracelets by reading the paper that was in the box it came in.   One of his strengths shines in being able to read instructions and assembling things without help.   It must be a "left brain activity," I tell myself.

I made some organic white rice for dinner tonight, to be served with the Grilled Chicken Breast, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans, and Apples we had for dinner.  Taz has begun to wake up in the middle of the night, complaining of hunger. 

Taz floundered today on taking his second set of Supplements.  He tried every trick:  "upset stomach," procrastination, begging, but (fortunately), no anger was erupting this time.  I truly felt sorry to make him have to take the supplements, since they do smell awful and look worse.  But I know he has to take them to get the optimal results from the Program.  I told him there would be no Video Games (Minecraft) until the supplements were inside of him.  I allowed him to wait on the 2nd group, and he reluctantly took them with his dinner (with much prodding by Hubster).  I remained calm and did not show fear, disappointment, or any other emotion regarding the supplements.  I told him to go to his room until he was able to take them, and he did so, staying there for approximately  35 minutes until the Hubster got home. 

It seems that there has been a calming of Taz's persona.  We had a few rough moments regarding the supplements, but really this is nothing compared to the past experience.  Since being on the Brain Balance program, I have noted many improvements in Taz's daily behavior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment